Tuesday, June 12, 2012

KTV's and crazy weather

The last post was a long time ago but not too much has happened since the last post. School is still going on but life has still been great.

The biggest event that has happened was my attendance to a KTV with some Taiwanese friends. Before heading to the KTV (karaoke party) I only knew one of them. I had helped one with a final project and then was asked if I would like to meet some of her friends and attend a KTV. I was not too sure because it was a little pricey. I'm not sure if I could chalk it up to just being money, I was a little scared to go. The thing that scared me the most was that I would be in a room with only Taiwanese for hours and I didn't know what to expect at all. I am not scared of Taiwanese at all but when you are meeting a whole group of twenty new people you get a little apprehensive. But either way, I decided to go and meet more Taiwanese and maybe meet some people that I can get to know for the next semester of school.

The KTV began at 9:30 pm and after getting some drinks for the KTV room we all sat around in a circle and introduced ourselves to everyone because it was a graduation and birthday party and most didn't know each other. I decided to do mine in Chinese just to fit in with everyone else who was doing the same. Everyone was so nice and supportive of me no matter if I got tones right or not. After this we started eating, talking and singing. We sang all night, until 3:00 am. I didn't sing much but did sing come Celine Dion and then Coldplay, but then I mainly listened and talked to everyone I could and get to know them more. Everyone I met was extremely nice and spoke to me in English whenever I could get the chance to talk to them, which was more than helpful and way too nice. After many drinks, many songs, and many new faces to meet, we all left and went back home.

After the KTV not much went on until a couple days ago when I went to another area of Taipei that I never went before. This Saturday was a really hot day and I went with a friend of mine to see the Taipei Contemporary Art Museum. Before heading there we went for a walk to see a Confucius Temple which was very big and beautiful, but unfortunately way too hot to take any pictures. Then we walked around the town a bit more before deciding to head to the museum to cool off. When we arrived at the museum there was only one problem, after walking all day in extreme heat we were way too tired to look at art so we both decided we should leave and head to the night market to get some food. There wasn't too much to report for this day but it was still a fun day and we got to get out of Muzha for a bit (the district my school is in).

The next day I was up very late Skype-ing, until about 5 am. All of the sudden I thought my bed was breaking because it was shaking, then I thought why am I shaking so much, finally I came to the conclusion: EARTHQUAKE. This was a huge earthquake, I don't really care about the numbers but about the amount of locals that wake up because it is so big that they are scared. The earthquake scared me and gave me a bit too much adrenaline for 5 am so I went to get some breakfast and settle down a bit.

Finally we come to last night, last night we had a down pour; the downpour lasted about six hours of rain and this was non-stop downpour, rain like I have never seen. We woke up this morning all confused and thought what happened. Finally posts started showing up on Facebook about classes being cancelled. I really didn't want to go to class so I thought it would be nice if they were canceled. I checked my email and saw I got an email from AIT (American Institute of Taiwan), which is an unofficial embassy. They told us to stay inside because roads, schools, government agencies, and shops were all being ordered to stay closed. Needless to say, I was a bit happy that class was canceled but the real fun began when I saw the river bank. I really can't describe it but a picture sure can.

In the matter of less than a week we have had: KTV, flash floods, downpours, flooding rivers, earthquakes. Pretty eventful week if you ask me.

No comments:

Post a Comment